THE CIVIL WAR FREE WALKING TOUR
Relive the days and visit the places of the conflict that destroyed Barcelona.
The Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) was one the most violent and dramatic conflicts in the history of Barcelona. In the Civil War in Barcelona Free Walking Tour we will take you back in time to live again those terrible days as the city turned into a chaotic and bloody battleground. From the first fights when the fascist troops attacked Barcelona and the anarchists, socialist and communist militias prepared to face them to the final conquest by General and future dictator of Spain Francisco Franco, we will show you the hidden marks left on the city walls and monuments in the most unexpected places. Signs of bullets, bombs and propaganda writings, the secret scars that are still visible in the streets and squares. You will see how common people lived everyday life during the war and protected themselves from the frequent bombings that hit the city and hear the long-overlooked, real-life stories and experiences of famous people that were in Barcelona during that time, like George Orwell and Ernest Hemingway.
The Civil War in Barcelona Free Walking Tour is organised in partnership with Barcelona Other Eyes Routes.
BOOK NOW FOR FREE
TIME: Everyday Friday at 3:00 pm.
DURATION: Tour takes around 2 hours.
Inside Corner of Plaza Catalunya
Look for our BAT logo on the blue umbrella
Use Google Maps to find the right spot!
THE PERFECT TOUR IF YOU LOVE:
History, War Time Stories, Secret Signs of Bombs and Bullets.
THE CIVIL WAR FREE WALKING TOUR
MOMENTS TO REMEMBER
PLACES WE VISIT
- Plaça Universitat
- Plaça de Catalunya
- Les Rambles
- Carrer de Portaferrissa
- Pla de la Seu
- Carrer del Bisbe
- Plaça de Sant Jaume
- Carrer de l’Argenteria
- Passeig del Born
- Mercat del Born
At the end of the Civil War in Barcelona Free Walking Tour you’ll find yourself a short walk from:
- Born neighbourhood, a charming area to explore (1 mins)
- Santa Maria del Mar, one of the best gothic churches to see (5 mins)
- Barceloneta Beach to see sunset and have some tapas (10 mins)
- Paradiso, a fancy cocktail bar (5 mins)
- Parc de la Ciutadella, the biggest park in the city (10 mins)
BE LOCAL – INFO & TIPS
- You don’t have to reserve, but following our Small Group Philosophy we limit the number of people on each tour to a maximum of 16 participants. If you have not booked, we suggest arriving at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time to allow you to get a space on the tour of your choice.
- This tour can be booked by a maximum of 8 people. If you are a group of 8 or more people you can enjoy this tour as a private tour by clicking here.
- The Civil War in Barcelona Free Walking Tour is in English. If you want this tour as a Free Walking Tour in Spanish click here. This tour is also available in different languages, contact us for a private tour in your language.
- Finishing at around 8:00 pm the tour is ideal to then head off in search of the other wonderful things to do and see in Born neighbourhood and its surroundings. Check our Closest Places box window to see what’s on offer. If you plan to go to have a drink or eat some tapas, you’re in the right place!